Monday 4 November 2013

Soap Script for Script Writing


Script (First Draft)

 

The scene starts in blackout.

 

Phil - Can you tell what happened? How did it all start?

 

Courtney - Why do you care?

 

P - I'm trying to help you, I want to find out how it all started.

 

We now see a terrified Courtney. She looks down, pulling up courage to tell Phil, her counsellor what happened.

 

C - It was 4 months ago. I was standing with friends, smoking. And...I don't want to relive all of this again!

 

P - It's important that you can accept what happened, and move on...

 

C - Piss. Off. You don't have a clue, do you! I don't want to look back at it.

 

P - Then why are you here?

 

C - Because I want help.

 

P - The only way I can help is if I know what has happened in the past.

 

C - Ok, well, mum texted me while I was with the girls. She wanted me to come home and cook dinner.

 

Flashback to establishing shot of Courtney in a gang. She is being followed by a strange, older man, who we see looking at her [half-shot from behind of man, looking at Courtney]. Courtney gets a text from her mum, asking her to come home and cook dinner. Courtney turns to her friends:

 

Courtney - (suggestively) Oh, I gotta go, I'm meeting someone

[friends laugh, wolf-whistle, cheer]

 

[Camera shot following C as she walks away].

 

Courtney walks down an alley, followed by camera [as man]. She looks sideways, as if she feels someone walking behind her. Halfway down the alley, she turns to confront him.

 

C - (angrily) I've already got a shadow thanks.

 

She continues to walk, but the man still follows

 

C - (confrontational) Seriously, do you have a problem?

 

[Camera cuts to behind C, looking directly at the man]

 

Man - (creepy, sexual) I'm sorry, but I think you are the most gorgeous girl I have ever seen

 

C - (surprised) Oh...thanks. (She turns away, and begins to walk off)

 

Man - (stopping her) No, wait. I'm a scout...I know that with that face, you'll go far.

 

Courtney is shocked and stands there, stunned.

 

Man - (eagerly) Here, take my card. Call me. (Courtney stands, looking at card [close-up of card]. He turns to walk away, but turns back, energetically, but firm) Hang on, let me call you.

 

Camera moves out, fading into Courtney at the airport departure lounge with Man

 

Man - (creepy) You're going to love London. It's great.

 

C - (lovingly) I can't wait! (She holds his hand, and he squeezes back) [close-up]

 

The scene cuts to the apartment in London, where they will be staying. They walk in, put the luggage on the bed. Courtney is enamoured by her new surroundings.

 

C - (astounded) Oh my God, this place is amazing!

 

Man - (slyly) Welcome to London. (She pecks him, however he takes it too far, but Courtney goes along with it, as she trusts him. They passionately kiss as they go into a room. The door slams, and we assume they are going to have sex)

 

The scene changes to the man and his friend talking in the living room. Courtney comes out the bedroom and goes through to the kitchen. [Camera looks at a side shot of Courtney, but we can see the man and friend]. Money changes hands from the friend to the man.

 

The man calls Courtney over

 

Man - Come here babe, I want you to meet my friend, Matt. (The man pulls Courtney onto the sofa, in between the 2 men. Matt puts his hand on her leg, and starts kissing her neck. Matt stands and takes her to the bedroom. Courtney turns)

 

C - (worried) What's going on?

 

Man - (commanding) Don't worry babe, just do what you're told!

 

Courtney keeps eye-contact until the door finally closes. [shot of the man counting money]

 

Montage of Courtney in compromising situations with different men.

 

The scene changes. We are now leaving a school. Courtney is walking out, and caught up by Junior, her friend.

 

Junior - (out of breath) Courtney, wait!

 

C - Hey Junior.

 

J - I was going to go into town, d'ya wanna come?

 

C - Oh, I'm sorry, I've got to meet someone.

 

J - Ok honey, see ya tomorrow.

 

They part ways, and we follow Courtney for a few footsteps.

 

The scene changes to a counsellors office. Phil Townsend is on the phone to his wife, Sheila.

 

Sheila - Can you run the pub tonight? I'm meant to be going out with the girls.

 

Phil - Look, I have my job. You have yours. Get one of your stupid barmaids to run it for you while you go for a piss-up.

 

S - You sit behind a desk all day, talking to hormonal bloody teenagers who have no idea what real life is like. I have no time off, all I want is one night, is that too much much to ask? Actually, no forget it. Have a nice fucking day.

 

Shot of Sheila slamming the phone down. Next shot shows Phil slamming the phone down, just as Courtney steps through the door.

Courtney comes through the door to the reception area. Phil looks out, sees her, and goes to meet her. We get a sense through this scene that their connection is more than that of counsellor and patient. A lot of the 'dialogue' throughout the scene is non-verbal - facial expression of loneliness, desire and trepidation are key to explaining the scene.

 

 P - Hi Courtney, How are you?

 

C - I'm good thanks, how are you?

 

P - I'm good... (awkward, tense pause. The pair look at each other, until Phil corrects his longing daze) Do you want to come through?

 

C - Thank you. (Phil steps aside, allowing Courtney to walk through into his office. [camera looks behind her until she reaches the doorframe, and then snaps to a med/long shot of her sitting down on a stool] Phil has followed her in, and now sits down at his desk. The rapport between the two is tense, but friendly, as if they both want something they can't have)

 

P - So, what can I do for you? (They look at each other. We are aware of a deep connection between Phil and Courtney, but we don't yet know how far the connection goes)

 

The scene changes. We now see Sheila behind a bar in the pub. She seems to be on her own, until Junior walks through the door.

 

Junior - Hey mum, how was your day?

 

Sheila - Quiet, as usual.

 

J - Really? It can't have been all that bad.

 

S - Junior, I'm telling you, it was like the bloody Marie Celeste in here. If we don't get more punters, we're going to have to close the doors for good.

 

J - We can't do that, you and dad love this place...

 

S - Phil doesn't give a shit about the pub. As far as he is concerned, it's my problem, and he won't help. Your dad only cares about other people's problems, not ours.

 

J - Are you still going out to Brighton with your friends? I mean, if you are, I'll run the pub for you.

 

S - (rolling her eyes) Does it really look like we need someone to cover? OK, you run it. If your dad comes back, don't tell him about what we have said. We don't need the aggro.

 

The scene changes back to the counselling session, and the pair, Courtney and Phil, are just leaving. The tense looks have continued.

 

P - So, I'll see you again same time next week then?

 

C - Yeah, probably.

 

P - If you want a chat, you can always give me a call.

 

He leans in and kisses Courtney. He suddenly pulls back

 

P - Oh God, I'm so sorry!

 

C - Don't worry, it's no problem.

 

P - Please don't tell anyone, I'll lose my job!

 

C - Honestly, Phil, don't worry. There is absolutely no need. (She takes his hand, and kisses him) See, I'm not going to tell anybody about this, or about anything else.

 

P - (puzzled) Anything else?

 

The scene changes. We are back with Sheila and Junior.

 

S - Have you got any homework from today?

 

J - Just a stupid musical theatre blog.

 

S - What have you got to do for that?

 

J - Oh, just some stuff on Stanislavski. It's so annoying.

 

Again, we cut back to Courtney and Phil. They are passionately kissing. Courtney breaks away, and looks at him deeply. Then, slowing, she pushes him back into his office, and closes the door. [camera pulls back to a long shot.]

 

[shot of Junior sitting, trying to do work, but obviously getting bored and distracted] Junior picks up his phone, and rings Courtney. [shot of Courtney and Phil] Her phone rings, and see its Junior.

 

C - I'm sorry, I should take this. (Answers the phone) Hi Junior.

 

[during the ensuing dialogue, the camera will swap between Courtney in Phil's office, and Junior behind the table, doing work]

 

J - Hey, you ok?

 

C - Yeah, I'm great. (Cheeky look at Phil) How are you?

 

J - Bored. So bloody bored. I don't want to hear Stanislavsky ever mentioned again, I'm sick of him! Anyway, do you want to meet up in the park later, it seems like ages since I've seen you.

 

C - Yeah, sure. Why not! 6pm?

 

J - Sounds good. See you then. (They both put the phone down)

 

 

Phil and Courtney kiss goodbye, and then in the next scene, P and S argue. Phil is late.

 

S - You did remember that we're hosting a reunion with Sarah and Jennifer tonight?

 

P - Yeah, of course I did.

 

S - So where the hell have you been? I rang you 4 times, but as usual, you never pick up your phone.

 

P - Actually, unlike you, I do a full day's work, and that doesn't involve getting pissed at any given opportunity.

 

S - Hang on, all you do is talk to teenagers who whine about how life is so hard. I never had any of that crap, and I didn't turn out badly.

 

P - That's a matter of opinion, darling.

 

S - Excuse me? When has anyone ever given a shit your opinion?

 

P - In my job...

 

S - In my job! Phil, they're fucking teenagers! They only listen to you, because they get attention from you that they didn't get from daddy! They are just going to do whatever you say.

 

P - More than you know!

 

S - What, are you a hypnotist as well now? You learn something new everyday!

 

P - Where as I am constantly learning that you are jealous of my achievements!

 

S - Like your negligent father of the year? Oh no, it has to be your most delusional man of 2013.

 

P - Yes, they're on the mantelpiece next to your award for the biggest pain in my arse!

 

S - Wow, that was a cheap shot wasn't it? You have no social life, no friends, the only people you talk to are desperate girls who flirt with you, you take no interest in family life, you don't even care when OUR business is crumbling beneath our feet, and what do you do? Nothing. Zilch. Sod all.

 

P - Actually, I take an interest in all those things.

 

S - Oh really? What did Junior do at college today? When's the next time you're going for a beer with your friends? What temperature is the fucking thermostat on?

 

P - Well, if you really want, I'll stay at home every day, and let you earn the money for the household. We'll be living on the streets in 2 weeks. I earn so much more money than you, because I work hard, and because you obviously don't.

 

S - Well, if working hard means that you're getting your dick wet twice a week, then I'm sure you do!

 

There is a knock on the door.

 

P - Right, that will be Sarah and Jennifer. Are you going to keep bickering like a child, or are you going to behave like an adult? I know it might be a stretch for you, but I'm sure you can manage it.

 

S - Shut up, and open the door. Now.

 

The scene changes. We now see Courtney and Junior sitting in a wooded area. They are both smoking, and talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment