Sunday 5 May 2013

Song Development for Final Singing Milestone

02/05/13

The final singing assesment is coming up and over the past few weeks I have been making decisions on what songs to sing. We have to do 2 solos and an ensemble. I have four possibilities for the 2 solos- Beauty School Dropout from Grease, Rock n' Roll Party Queen from Grease, I Believe from The Book Of Mormon and One Song Glory from Rent. The easy option would be to do my two Grease songs as we did the show a couple of weeks ago but I'd like to experiment with other songs from different musicals. Rent is one of my favourite musicals and I'd love to see The Book Of Mormon so to sing songs from these shows would be really fun. The only problem with these two songs is that there are certain notes in the song that are just outside of my range so I have incorporated into my practise routine.

05/05/13

 Today, I have decided what songs I am singing for definite! My two solos are going to be Beauty School Dropout from Grease and One Song Glory from Rent. I am now able to hit the high note in One Song Glory as I discovered yesterday. I have to belt in order to hit the note but now I've proven to myself I can do it, I'm sure I'm going to find it easier and easier. Belting big notes that are right on my break is also a great way of increasing my range. I am also singing a duet with Polly- As Long As You're Mine from Wicked. However, she hasn't been in college today and I'm not sure whether we are still singing that song- we could be singing a different duet.

07/05/13
I keep working on hitting the high note in One Song Glory. I need to belt but it's going fine. BSD is now perfect too.

20/05/13
Today I did my singing assessment and was happy with the way I performed my solos- especially One Song Glory as I managed to hit the big note whilst performing with nerves. For a duet, I ended up singing the song 'Run' with Beth as my original partner, Polly wasn't well. The song isn't a musical theatre song but we managed to characterise it as it's a love song and sang/staged/acted it as though we were two lovers.

1 comment:

  1. Lena:
    Really sound technical analysis, Jos - hope the performance goes well

    ReplyDelete