Monday 14 January 2013

'Grease' Song Development (Solos)

In Grease, I have two solos, a duet and other group songs. I wil

Solos:
- Those Magic Changes
- Beauty School Dropout

Duet:
- Rock and Roll Party Queen.

Group Songs:
- Alma Mater
- Summer Lovin'
- Greased Lightening
- We Go Together
- We Go Together (Reprise)

Those Magic Changes:

I've learnt all the lyrics to this song and I'm excited to have the first solo of the show. On 10/01/13 I did a run through of this song with Lena and we found that hitting certain notes were a real struggle. However, we also found that if I really 'go for it' I can hit the notes but I need to be careful not to damage my voice as I really do need to sing very loud. I just need to keep practising and it will come to me a lot easier. In order to improve my characterisation, I need to keep watching videos of the stage version of Grease and keep going through my Character Development blog entry to give me an idea of how I should sing the song. Across January I continued to practice this song whenever I had the moment to. I put Lena's Grease Soundtrack onto my iPhone and listen to my songs whenever I'm walking to and from college which really helped me get familiar with my songs- particularly Those Magic Changes. On  11/02/13 I'm still struggling to hit the big notes in the song but I keep using rising arpeggios on my iPhone app to try and expand my range and I'm sure I will be able to sing this song with ease come the performance.


Beauty School Dropout:
I already knew most of the lyrics to this song when I found out I was going to be singing it. I love this song! I went through the song with Lena on the 10/01/13 and it sounded pretty good. I need to keep working on characterisation and it will be fine. On 11/02/13 it became clear that this is my favourite solo. I know all the words, can sing it very well and it's clear that vocally it's not going to be a problem. In order to improve my characterisation, I keep watching Youtube videos of film and stage versions of the song to give me ideas on how I want to portray the Teen Angel.






1 comment:

  1. Joe - your work and approach are of such a high standard - I'm sure this will continue, well done. Add exercises into your practice routine to help you with the vocal challenges of the roles.

    ReplyDelete