Wednesday 6 February 2013

GREASE Rehearsal 29/01/13

 In today's lesson we blocked scenes 1,2,3,4 and 5. Today was focused on our movement and learning what happens in the scene. As we progress and get 'off script' we will find it a lot easier to get into character.

Scene 1:
 The beginning scene of the show starts with us all singing Alma Mater. We'd already blocked this scene before but today was a lot easier. I still need to get into character better and not be afraid to 'go for it' and act 'crazy' when the Greaser's start singing the parody version. As time goes on, I'll learn more about my character Doody and will find it a lot easier to portray him in the correct way. In terms of Scene 1, we've sorted out movement and as far as I know we're all off script. All I need to do now is make sure I'm 100% okay with the lyrics, get right into my character and this scene will be sorted!

Scene 2:
 Scene 2 is the scene where The Pink ladies are first on stage and the T Bird's characters are developed and made clear to the audience. I know all my lines in this scene and I'm pretty confident. Once again, I need to be more confident in my movement- particularly when Kenickie and Danny enter as it needs to be totally clear that I idolise them and they're the cool ones of the group. The song 'Summer Nights' needs to be polished- particularly the T Birds and Pink Ladie's movements. We also need to make sure we know what parts of the song we're singing where as it's not just Sandy and Danny singing this song. Me and Roger need to really exaggerate our funny laughs to make us look even more 'geeky' than we already look.

Scene 3:
 Scene 3 is the scene where I sing my solo 'Those Magic Changes'. Today we sorted out the movement sequence for the rest of the greasers which they'll do whilst I sing. All I really need to do in this scene is sing and make sure I stay in character whilst singing which is difficult but with a lot of practice it will look good.

Scene 5:
 The main part of scene 5 is 'Greased Lightening' but we just did an improvisation for that today. At the beginning of the scene we've all got to be out of breath so Rachel made us run round the studio 3 times beforehand! We didn't sort the routine out for the song but Sam is going to choreograph it with us.

Character Devlopment Choices:
 I've realised just how much of a joker Doody is. Today we decided that Doody should have a really annoying comedy-value laugh which is exaggerated whenever he cracks a joke. This will strengthen Doody's humorous values as a character and also make it clearer to the audience what other's think of Doody- through their reactions to his laugh. To develop this further, I need to talk to other cast members and discuss different ways they will react to Doody's laugh. Doody and Roger are best friends so whenever one of them laughs- so does the other. 

 Overall, today's rehearsal went really well. We got a lot of work done and I'm a lot clearer on what we need to do. The main thing is to go all out with character. The 3 things that I need to make sure I do are:

1) Characterisation (also when singing)
2) Learn all my lines in these scenes so I'm off script.

1 comment:

  1. Joe, please ensure that each week you are discussing your thoughts on your character and the new things you learn or decide about him.

    This could be to do with background, motivation in certain scenes or voice/movement/characterisation choices.

    1.Describe the choices made
    2.Explain the reasons why?
    3. Make suggestions as to how you might develop them further?

    This process will allow you to access the higher grades in this project.

    ReplyDelete